Monday, October 21, 2013

1 Ricardo's Steakhouse

A few Saturday's ago my father turned...*probably shouldn't put his business out there like that*. I'll just say we celebrated his birthday a few Saturdays ago. In true father and son fashion, what better way to bond with the big guy other then tearing up some hot, sizzling, medium cooked steaks?! Since he had never been and I had only gone once, I decided to keep it local and take him to Ricardo's Steakhouse in Harlem.


Steakhouse in Harlem? Seriously?
I know it seems a little out of the ordinary to have a steakhouse in Harlem. It may not necessarily be the prime location for a steakhouse, but when you think about it there really isn't a default location for a steakhouse. So YES! Steakhouse in Harlem! What I will say is that it's not your typical, suit and tie, business meeting steakhouse though.

Well what kind of steakhouse is it then?
It's way more upbeat! Music is different, vibe is different, service is different, menu is different. It's just an overall different experience from your more "traditional" steakhouses. Not a bad thing of course, but it's just different (sorry for the excessive use of the word different). It has a more urban feel to it. Don't think you're going to walk in to a place that's playing some soft Jazz or Classical music. Or the wait staff is going to be pouring wine while resting the bottle on their forearm ever so gently. As stated on their website, "What makes Ricardo different from other steakhouses is that from the time the doors open to the minute we close, it's SHOWTIME."

Sounds like a place that focuses more on presentations and appearances and not overall experience...is that true?
I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, they are definitely about the presentation. Palm trees in the front, art all over the place, attractive wait staff, etc. BUT...in addition to the appearance the food is really good as well.

Speaking of the food...what did you guys have?
To start we shared an order of mussels with red sauce and beef empanadas. The empanadas were pretty regular. Light crust packed with ground beef. They were good, but nothing to write home to mom about. Those mussels though!!!!! A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.! The red sauce had diced tomatoes and onions and was seasoned VERY WELL! Like, when we were done with mussels and there were no more shells in the bowl, I took a spoon and continued to eat the red sauce (very fat ass of me I know). But yeah...it was that good!

For our main course we both got the special which was the rib eye with mashed potatoes, string beans, and jumbo shrimp...a meal to die for! Everything was very well prepared and well seasoned. Needless to say we DESTROYED our orders and were very happy campers after the fact.

That all sounds really good, but I'm confused...they have empanadas at a steakhouse?
I did say that this is not your "traditional" steakhouse. It's like a steakhouse with a bit of a Latin twist to it. They do have some items on the menu that you would find at let's say a Ruth Chris or Capital Grille, but they also have items that kinda separate them from the norm. Trust me...it works, and it works WELL for them.

Very nice...what else do I need to know about this place?
As much as I love this place, there are some cons. First, let me warn you that this is NOT a big venue. Space is very limited. My father and I sat towards the front by the bar which is a heavy traffic area. You have everyone walking by your table trying to get to theirs and depending on how crowded the bar gets, you may have some folks standing right by your table. There is seating in the back, but those tables are really close to each other. Secondly, I absolutely LOVE the music that they play. It puts me in such a "ready to keep the night going" of a mood. With that being said, the music can be a little too loud. This place is always busy so trying to talk above the several other conversations going on and the loud music can be a bit much. If you can deal with space restrictions and somewhat overbearing noise, you'll have a great time!

Recommendations?
DEFINITELY visit this place. The wait staff is cool...and very attractive. The food is great. The music is banging! Good for a nice afterwork meet up. Dinner with friends or someone whom you fancy (just be ready for the noise). I think that's all I have to say about that.




Ricardo's Steakhouse
2145 Second Avenue
(212) 289-5895

1 comments :

  1. Ricardo's is a top notch steakhouse uptown in the ever changing part of town. I have been a patron to Ricardo's for many years, way before the LOVE AND HIPHOP NY era ;). You get to experience a 4.5 star steakhouse locally with very affordable pricing along with healthy portions of food.I was once so hooked on Ricardo's that i would order takeout from there for lunch and still dine in for dinner. Yeah a bit obsessive i know...But the only down side to this fine establishment is the loudness and over crowding.I think its time for them to expand in order to accommodate their ever growing clientele. it can get a bit congested, but overall the food has never lost its touch. Your review is an accurate one tho....Two thumbs up!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Nom in NY Copyright © 2012