Monday, March 3, 2014

0 Adventures in Restaurant Week - Barraca

As stated in a previous post...THIS. IS. SPARTA RESTAURANT WEEK!!! Wouldn't be able to call myself a food lover if I didn't participate now would I? First stop on the RW adventures Barraca!!! 


What is Barraca and what made you come here?
Barraca is a Spanish restaurant specializing in tapas, paellas, and sangrias located in the West Village. What made me come here was that I was looking up places to take someone a few months ago and saw this place. I'm a huge fan of Spanish food and an even bigger fan of the West Village so I was pretty sure I would end up going there. Long story short...I didn't go -_-. Then RW happened and I saw Barraca was on the list. I'd be a fool to not take advantage this time around. So I hit up a friend of mine and we rolled out

Makes sense...so tell me about the place.
Medium sized, exposed brick (which I love), dimly lit, enjoyable tunes, moderate noise level, very mellow vibe. A.K.A. My kind of place. Perfect for clearing your head and grabbing a drink by yourself and also good for entertaining a date. 

Ok. What did you end up ordering?
To start:
  • Gambas al ajillo - shrimp in garlic, olive oil, and guindilla pepper
  • Croquetas de jamon - cripsy serrano ham croquettas
For an entree:
  • Mariscos - paella with shirmp, calamari, cuttlefish, monkfish, string beans, clams, and mussels
Dessert:
  • Bomba de chocolate - chocolate mousse, hazelnuts, and caramel
  • Banana pudding (which I don't see on their online menu)
Only one entree? Wasn't it 2 of you?
Yeah only one entree. This place serves entrees that are meant for 2 people to share so in efforts to not waste food and money there was only one entree served.

I guess that makes sense. So how was the food?
The food was very good. The shrimp in garlic was EXCELLENT! Plump shrimp sitting in garlic and oil and peppers. May have been my favorite part of the meal. Croquetas were good as well. A little on the salty side, but not enough to make you not want to continue destroying them. The paella was enormous and literally packed with tons and tons of seafood. Every item providing it's own individual flavor which lead to a mega party for my taste buds. The dessert was pretty average. Nothing to really go crazy over.

Wasn't feeling the dessert huh?
I wouldn't say I wasn't feeling it, but there was nothing special about it. I usually don't get dessert when I go to restaurants so if it's not amazing then it's just something sweet on a plate to me. 
I get that. Sooooooo this place specializes in sangria and you didn't try any?
Of course I did. How could I forget about that. Every course was washed down with several glasses of sangria. See below:
  • De La Mancha - saffron infused passion fruit, Verdejo white wine, clementine, Don Q Limon Rum. Very bitter taste
  • Valencia - Rose, Oleo Succharum "citrus oil", grapefruit juice, vodka ginger. My favorite out of all the ones I've had. Smooth, fairly sweet, love the ginger finish
  • Rioja - Rioja red wine, Aperol, guindilla pepper, cherry heering liqueur. My second favorite. Deep red color, rich flavor, little kick.

Nice. Any thing else I need to know? Dislikes? Recommendation?
I really enjoyed my trip to Barraca. Outside of the croquettas being a little salty I have zero compaints about this place. Definitely worth a visit. If you manage to make it there I'd suggest either going with a group or with someone who has a healthy appetite. Since the portions are meant to be shared you don't want to get stuck with a bunch of food that you're trying to force down or lug home.


 
 

81 Greenwich Avenue
(212) 462 - 0080

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Nom in NY Copyright © 2012