Friday, January 10, 2014

3 Ramen anyone?

I don't know if anyone has noticed but it's pretty damn cold outside! No worries though. With cold weather comes hot, soupy, noodle lunches!!! Enter the season of RAMEN!


Ramen huh? Out of the hundreds of places to get ramen where did you decide to go, and what made you go there?
Don't sound so excited. I went to this kinda sorta hole in the wall place by my job called Saburi. It's  funny how I stumbled on to this place. One random afternoon I was craving a Bento box for lunch. Coincidentally, my boss was looking for sushi and kept walking pass this place that he thought was a sushi restaurant (Saburi) and wanted to try it out. I say what the hell and one thing leads to another our quest for Bento boxes and good sushi turned into a ramen lunch. And that right there was the beginning of my Saburi relationship.

Ok...how was/is the food?
For a hole in the wall kinda spot, I think it's pretty damn good. Actually, I think it's the best ramen by my job. Just a heads up, ramen isn't the only thing on their menu but it's definitely the only thing I'm looking for when I go there. In particular the daily specials. So far the Thursday (Spicy Miso Ramen) and Tuesday specials (Tonkotsu Ramen)...in that order...are hands down my favorites.

Spicy Ramen? Tonkotsu Ramen? What is this you're talking about?
Ok.
So the Spicy Miso Ramen is ramen (obviously) served in miso broth, topped with ground pork, bok choy and bean sprouts with a side of Japanese style fried chicken and steamed shrimp dumplings. Top it off with some of their spicy powder (still can't remember the name)...AH-MAZING!
The Tonkotsu Ramen is ramen (obviously...again) served in a rich pork broth, topped with braised pork belly, wood ear (absolutely NO idea what that is), pickled red ginger & scallions, with a side of tofu, onion and seaweed salad covered with onion dressing (not a huge fan) and fried pork and veggie spring rolls. Again...sprinkle some of the that spicy powder on there and just enjoy the greatness!

That sounds like a lot of damn food that you get with this special. Is it always like that?
It's a good amount. 1 bowl of ramen + 2 sides = daily special. For the $12 price I don't think it's all that bad compared to the other places in the area where you're paying the same price but don't get as much.

Nice. Anything else we should know about this place? Perhaps some dislikes?
Food and ambiance-wise I have zero complaints. The one issue I do have is that they're closed on some very random days. I've gone over there a few times craving ramen on a regular Tuesday/Wednesday and they were closed. Wasn't even a holiday...at least not one that I knew of.

Recommendation?
During this cold wintery season I can't think of any other place to be for lunch! Just a heads up, the menu can be a little bit overwhelming, but the daily specials are very solid. Stick to those and you'll be alright.


168 Lexington Avenue

3 comments :

  1. Your boss sounds like the best boss...like EVER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Unfortunately they don't. Pick up and dine in only.

      Delete

 

Nom in NY Copyright © 2012