Thursday, March 27, 2014

0 Restaurant Week Adventures: Blue Water Grill


So it's come to my attention that as much as I like seafood I don't really go to seafood restaurants...and I can't seem to understand why. In efforts to get more seafood restaurants under my belt, a good friend and I decided to check Blue Water Grill for restaurant week. 

So tell me about Blue Water Grill.
Upscale seafood restaurant located on the Union Square area of Manhattan. Little history lesson for those old enough to remember...this place use to be the Metropolitan Bank. Go figure...

So did you choose this place because you could possibly get a check cashed or for the food selection?
*insert evil stare* Obviously, it was for the food selection. I was searching through the list of restaurants participating in Restaurant Week and came across this place. The majority of the reviews were positive and it was in a part of town that I'm pretty fond of so I decided to take my talents there. 

Nice. What all did you guys get for restaurant week?
My plan was to take advantage of the Restaurant Week menu. However, there was an audible called once we got to our table and we ended up ordering off the regular menu as opposed to the restaurant week one. With that being said we got:
• short rib ravioli (to start) - wild mushroom ragout, red river blue cheese
• sesame crusted bigeye tuna (her entree) - lo mein noodles, crisp vegetables, ginger soy
• blackened swordfish (my entree) - lump crab and sweet potato hash, cilantro, red curry
• blue water grill's chocolate fondue - sweet bites and fresh fruit skewers

And how was everything?
The short rib ravioli was excellent. Tender short rib packed in a very thin ravioli dough. And then the mushroom ragout to put it over the top! The blackened swordfish had loads of flavor. A little spicy but with the crab and swet potato hash it was a nice mix between sweet and spicy. The tuna was good as well. The noodles, veggies, and ginger soy gave it a bit of an Asian flare...kinda like a stir fry. A bit on the salt side but otherwise very good. 

And the dessert?
I don't even think I was able to enjoy the fondue like I wanted to because I was so full but I pushed through it. Rich, sweet, warm chocolate and fruit...I mean do I really need to go into further explaination? It was heavenly. Only regret was that I wish I hadn't eaten so much during the appetizer and entree so I could have thoroughly enjoyed dessert. 

Sounds good. Anything else I should know?
Nice ambiance, tasty food, and pleasant wait staff. I'd say that's pretty much all I have to say about that. Oh...if you make a reservation and you and your party show up, you may have to let them know several times that you and your party have arrived. They can get a little "forgetful" and you'll end up just sitting there as they accommodate the other patrons.





31 Union Square West at 16th Street
(212) 675-9500


0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Nom in NY Copyright © 2012