Friday, December 13, 2013

2 Best Burger Hunt NYC - Part 1 (Bill's Bar & Burger)


So, I decided that after many discussions with a TON of different people, that everyone has an opinion on what they think the best burger is in NYC.  A lot of people say Five Guys, no shake shack, no 5 napkins...I'm not quite sure if anyone can come to an agreement on the burger situation in NYC.


My goal, over the next few weeks and months, is to scour the city in search of what I BELIEVE, is the cream of the crop, top gun, the numero uno burger in this fine city of New York.

The first stop on this journey was Bill's Bar & Burger, located in Midtown, right down the block from Radio City Music Hall.  To be honest with you, the beer list is really what drove me to try this place out.  Also, the fact that one of their burgers was listed by CNN as one of the top ten of 2013, I was sold.

Decor: More of a pub style setup, a few TVs on the walls, A TON of tables, two floors. Very casual, but also could be a good happy hour spot after work. Felt a little cramped, but that's probably because it was so busy, and its right by the tree and radio city.

Menu: Simple and to the point. One side has Apps, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, tacos, salads, sides. A few deserts(we'll get into that later). The other side has a VERY extensive beer list, which I honestly believe, there is more beer choices than food choices.

Beers: I tried two different beers while here. The first was called "Phin and Matts" brewed by Southern Tier, served in a 12oz bottle. Really nice flow, smooth and crisp. Has a citrus and flowery aroma, but not too overpowering. The second was Bills Brew, which is Bills signature brew straight from Six Point. Served on tap in a pint glass. Very light and easy to drink. It was fairly fruity though, with hints of citrus, pineapple, and floral hops. 




Appetizer: Kicked off the night with frickles and jalapeno peppers. Felt it was more peppers than pickles. Served with a ranch dipping sauce. Pretty good, not the best frickles I've had, but an enjoyable starter. 

Burger: Now the most important part of this post. My Burger. Bills has a few choices on the menu from a basic burger to veggie burgers. My choice was the BBQ-Bacon Burger. A nice thick patty with smoked mozzarella, BBQ sauce, bacon, and mayo. As an addition, I got extra bacon and pepper jack as well. First you barely know there's mayo on it, because the BBQ sauce took over taste, and the texture of the sauce was more of a jam then a sauce. Burger was cooked medium, bacon was crispy and very tasty. Served on a regular burger bun which got pretty soft(not soggy) from all of the cheese and sauce. You only get the burger, so if you're looking for a side, you'll have to order it separately Overall a good, tasty, filling burger, I'll give it a 7 out of 10. 





Bills was fun, I would recommend it for anyone looking for a pre-show drink and bite to eat. Or if you're looking for a new spot to try a lot of different brews, they have more than enough to satisfy you're thirst. I think I'll visit here again after the holidays and the area isn't PACKED with tourists. Also, call ahead for reservations if you're going to eat. 

16 West 51st Street at 5th ave. 

2 comments :

  1. Instructions are as follows: Go to Colicchio & Sons, sit in the taproom, order the burger medium-rare. Life will be changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, I'll add it to my list to try. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

 

Nom in NY Copyright © 2012